Saturday, March 01, 2008

Neil Armstrong

I just finished reading a review of a new book about Neil Armstrong. American, man, recluse, astronaut, icon, living history.

I'm not sure how I feel about Neil right now. I mean I understand his wanting to be out of the limelight but what the hell did he expect. The first human to ever walk on another rock in space was bound to be uber-famous and if he didn't realize that he had no common sense even though he is a brilliant man or he was naive or he was in denial. I'm not sure which. I still respect him, idolize him etc.

Neil has no idea who I am or what effect he had on my life and I'm sure countless other men who grew up in the sixties, and who watched every second of the Apollo 11 mission.

I feel for Neil that he has been unable to accept his place in history. Shit he doesn't even sign autographs anymore. How can he deny us that? Our tax dollars and our parents tax dollars enabled this man to become one of the most famous men in history, and he won't sign an autograph. How unfortunate for all of us. How disrespectful, how selfish. Get over it Neil... Nimoy did. When Nimoy just accepted that he would always be known as Spock, life got much better, more interesting and definitely more financially rewarding for him.

Neil, I hope you reconsider your obligation to every American. You owe us at least a signature if we ask for it. On the other hand, I thank you for providing me with dreams, incentive, ambition, drive, and hope. Hope because you showed me that dreams do come true. I hope YOU tell us your story someday.

No comments: